Years ago, it was perceived only the rich and famous could afford home lifts, but a residential elevator is actually a lot more affordable than you might think, and is a great way to make the home ultra-convenient. Lifts have become commonplace necessities in both public and private multi-storey spaces these days, the trend of residential lifts is on the rise, and you'd do well to hop on the bus as soon as possible.
- Comfort: A residential elevator offers optimal ease and comfort to homeowners with double-storey or multi-storey homes.
- Future-proofing: While you may not need a lift just now, your future self will thank you in years to come as you grow older.
- Safety and accessibility: Avoid accidents on the stairs by using a home lift instead.
- Property value: Home lifts immediately increase the resale value of your home.
- Aesthetics and design: A residential lift creates a modern, high-end aesthetic in your home, exuding style and luxury.
Did you know that there are many facts about home lifts that you most probably didn't know? Well, we're here to teach you all you need to know about residential elevators.
1. There Are Different Types of Residential Lifts
You may wonder which type of lift is used in residential buildings.
Residential lifts can be categorised as follows:
- Self-supporting lifts can be installed anywhere in your home as they don't need to be built inside a wall since they are freestanding.
- Non-self-supporting lifts have to be built inside a wall. They don't give you as much flexibility when it comes to where to install your new lift in your home.
Did you know that there are several kinds of small residential lifts? Here are the most common types:
Hydraulic Home Lift
These piston-powered residential lifts promise a gentle descent and a smooth ride. Cost effective, easy-to-use, and easy-to-maintain, they are a perfect home lift solution. If we had to recommend a lift for the home, we would always recommend a hydraulic lift.
Traditional Home Lift
Traditional cable lifts are ideal for those in need of a small residential lift. These lifts are smooth and quiet.
Wheelchair Home Lift
Wheelchair home lifts cater to those with disabilities and mobility issues. They're small, occupying less space than traditional hydraulic elevators and also more cost-effective.
Dumbwaiters are compact and save a lot of space, ideal for those who need to haul items from floor to floor.
Pneumatic Residential Lift
Pneumatic residential lifts are an eye-catching addition to your modern double-storey home. They're also super safe and dependable.
Glass In-Home Lift
A glass elevator is the most elegant if your main aim is to add aesthetic value to your home.
MRL – Machine Room-Less Lift
A machine-room-less residential lift saves space and money. Usually, the walls are made of recycled wood. Also, they use half the energy of traditional residential lifts.
Shaftless Home Lift
Since shaftless lifts don't require machine rooms or hoistways, they save space and resources.
2. Home Lifts Require Maintenance
How does a residential lift work? Besides annual services, there are important safety guidelines you should follow to maintain your home elevator and ensure it’s longevity:
- Respect the lift's weight limit, and don't overload it.
- Keep the doors closed unless you're getting in or out of your elevator.
- Never operate your elevator if the landing door locking system seems to be malfunctioning.
- Never tamper with the door locks or any other safety features.
- Only get in or out when the lift stops, and watch your step.
- Don't open the gate or door while the elevator is moving
3. You Can Visit a Showroom for a Preview
Always try before you buy! Before you make your final decision, visit a showroom to see your desired home lift in action.
4. Size Matters
A home lift is built to various standard sizes but can also be customised. Most lifts are approximately 1,5m².
5. Home Lifts Are Safer Than Stairs
Why? Well, the chance of anything going wrong inside the elevator is extremely low if you use a reliable elevator company for your installation. In fact, you're more likely to trip and fall on the stairs than get stuck in an elevator.
With regards to mobility concerns, stairs pose a significant safety risk, while an elevator can take you safely to whichever level of the house you want to go.
6. Home Lifts Support Reverse-Living Homes
Reverse-living homes consist of two or more storeys with bedrooms on the bottom floor and the living and kitchen on the top floor. These unique home designs optimise magnificent views while inhibiting guests or family members with mobility challenges. Installing a residential lift can enhance a reverse living home as it provides easy movement from one floor to the next.
7. Residential Lifts Increase Home Luxury
A home elevator provides life-changing comfort and practicality while adding luxury to your dream home.
8. Home Lifts Prices: Domestic Lifts Are an Investment
Domestic lifts can cost anywhere from $18,000 to $100 000, depending on size and style. However, since domestic elevators add value to your property while increasing accessibility, they are worth the investment.
9. Home Lifts Have Great Longevity
What is the average life of a lift? Lifts for houses typically have a lifespan of 20-35 years. However, not all residential lifts need replacing when they reach their age limit. Regular usage and maintenance can keep a home elevator running safely and efficiently for 35+ years.
Who Can Assist You with Your Home Lift Needs?
If you want to future-proof your home with an affordable and highly customisable residential lift, look no further than Platinum Elevators. With Platinum Elevators, you can restore your independence to live comfortably and move about your home freely. Platinum Elevators has:
- Compact home lifts
- Lifts which are customised to your needs
- Affordable options
- Lifts to meet accessibility requirements
- Retrofit solutions
If you are considering a home elevator, all you need to do is get in touch with one of our friendly elevator experts. When it comes to home lifts prices and home elevators costs, you should come talk to us, I think you’ll find they’re more affordable than you might think. Do this and you can be sure your home is the perfect forever destination you’ve always dreamed of!